THE LORD'S PRAYER
(from The Larger Catechism, Questions 186-196)
Q186: What rule hath God given for our direction in the duty of prayer?
A186: The whole word of God is of use to direct us in the duty of prayer; but the special rule of direction is that form of prayer which our Savior Christ taught his disciples, commonly called The Lord's prayer.
1. 1 John 5:14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
2. Matthew 6:2 "Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
Luke 11:2-4 So He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as [it is] in heaven.Give us day by day our daily bread.And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one."
1. Matthew 6:9 "In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
Luke 11:2 So He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as [it is] in heaven.
1. Matthew 6:9 "In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
2. Luke 11:13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"
Romans 8:15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."
3. Isaiah 64:9 Do not be furious, O LORD, Nor remember iniquity forever; Indeed, please look—we all [are] Your people!
4. Psalms 123:1 <<A Song of Ascents.>> Unto You I lift up my eyes, O You who dwell in the heavens.
Lamentations 3:41 Let us lift our hearts and hands To God in heaven.
5. Isa. 63:15-16 Look down from heaven, And see from Your habitation, holy and glorious. Where [are] Your zeal and Your strength, The yearning of Your heart and Your mercies toward me? Are they restrained?Doubtless You [are] our Father, Though Abraham was ignorant of us, And Israel does not acknowledge us. You, O LORD, [are] our Father; Our Redeemer from Everlasting [is] Your name.
Neh. 1:4-6 So it was, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned [for many] days; I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.And I said: "I pray, LORD God of heaven, O great and awesome God, [You] who keep [Your] covenant and mercy with those who love You and observe Your commandments,"please let Your ear be attentive and Your eyes open, that You may hear the prayer of Your servant which I pray before You now, day and night, for the children of Israel Your servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel which we have sinned against You. Both my father’s house and I have sinned.
6. Acts 12:5 Peter was therefore kept in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church.
1. Matthew 6:9 "In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
2. II Cor. 3:5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as [being] from ourselves, but our sufficiency [is] from God,
Psalms 51:15 O Lord, open my lips, And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.
3. Psa. 67:2-3 That Your way may be known on earth, Your salvation among all nations.Let the peoples praise You, O God; Let all the peoples praise You.
4. Psalms 83:18 That they may know that You, whose name alone [is] the LORD, [Are] the Most High over all the earth.
5. Psa. 86:10-13, 15 For You [are] great, and do wondrous things; You alone [are] God.Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name.I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And I will glorify Your name forevermore.For great [is] Your mercy toward me, And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. But You, O Lord, [are] a God full of compassion, and gracious, Longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth.
6. 2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run [swiftly] and be glorified, just as [it is] with you,
Psa. 138:1-3; 147:19-20 [A Psalm] of David] I will praise You with my whole heart; Before the gods I will sing praises to You.I will worship toward Your holy temple, And praise Your name For Your lovingkindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.In the day when I cried out, You answered me, [And] made me bold [with] strength in my soul.
He declares His word to Jacob, His statutes and His judgments to Israel.He has not dealt thus with any nation; And [as for His] judgments, they have not known them. Praise the LORD!
II Cor. 2:14-15 Now thanks [be] to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.
7. Psa. ch. 8 To the Chief Musician. On the instrument of Gath. A Psalm of David. O LORD, our Lord, How excellent [is] Your name in all the earth, Who have set Your glory above the heavens!Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants You have ordained strength, Because of Your enemies, That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him?For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor.You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all [things] under his feet,All sheep and oxen Even the beasts of the field,The birds of the air, And the fish of the sea That pass through the paths of the seas.O LORD, our Lord, How excellent [is] Your name in all the earth!
Psa. ch. 145 A Praise of David. I will extol You, my God, O King; And I will bless Your name forever and ever.Every day I will bless You, And I will praise Your name forever and ever.Great [is] the LORD, and greatly to be praised; And His greatness [is] unsearchable.One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts.I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty, And on Your wondrous works.[Men] shall speak of the might of Your awesome acts, And I will declare Your greatness.They shall utter the memory of Your great goodness, And shall sing of Your righteousness.The LORD [is] gracious and full of compassion, Slow to anger and great in mercy.The LORD [is] good to all, And His tender mercies [are] over all His works.All Your works shall praise You, O LORD, And Your saints shall bless You.They shall speak of the glory of Your kingdom, And talk of Your power,To make known to the sons of men His mighty acts, And the glorious majesty of His kingdom.Your kingdom [is] an everlasting kingdom, And Your dominion [endures] throughout all generations.The LORD upholds all who fall, And raises up all [who are] bowed down.The eyes of all look expectantly to You, And You give them their food in due season.You open Your hand And satisfy the desire of every living thing.The LORD [is] righteous in all His ways, Gracious in all His works.The LORD [is] near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth.He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them.The LORD preserves all who love Him, But all the wicked He will destroy.My mouth shall speak the praise of the LORD, And all flesh shall bless His holy name Forever and ever.
8. Psa. 19:14; 103:1 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.
[A Psalm] of David] Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, [bless] His holy name!
9. Phil. 1:9, 11 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, being filled with the fruits of righteousness which [are] by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.
10. Psa. 67:1-4 To the Chief Musician. On stringed instruments. A Psalm. A Song. God be merciful to us and bless us, [And] cause His face to shine upon us. SelahThat Your way may be known on earth, Your salvation among all nations.Let the peoples praise You, O God; Let all the peoples praise You.Oh, let the nations be glad and sing for joy! For You shall judge the people righteously, And govern the nations on earth. Selah
11. Eph. 1:17-18 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him,the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
12. Psalms 97:7 Let all be put to shame who serve carved images, Who boast of idols. Worship Him, all [you] gods.
13. Psa. 74:18, 22-23 Remember this, [that] the enemy has reproached, O LORD, And [that] a foolish people has blasphemed Your name. Arise, O God, plead Your own cause; Remember how the foolish man reproaches You daily.Do not forget the voice of Your enemies; The tumult of those who rise up against You increases continually.
14. II Kings 19:15-16 Then Hezekiah prayed before the LORD, and said: "O LORD God of Israel, [the One] who dwells [between] the cherubim, You are God, You alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth."Incline Your ear, O LORD, and hear; open Your eyes, O LORD, and see; and hear the words of Sennacherib, which he has sent to reproach the living God.
15. II Chr. 20:6, 10-12 and said: "O LORD God of our fathers, [are] You not God in heaven, and do You [not] rule over all the kingdoms of the nations, and in Your hand [is there not] power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You? "And now, here are the people of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir whom You would not let Israel invade when they came out of the land of Egypt, but they turned from them and did not destroy them "here they are, rewarding us by coming to throw us out of Your possession which You have given us to inherit."O our God, will You not judge them? For we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes [are] upon You."
Psa. ch. 83; 140:4, 8 <<A Song. A Psalm of Asaph.>> Do not keep silent, O God! Do not hold Your peace, And do not be still, O God!For behold, Your enemies make a tumult; And those who hate You have lifted up their head.They have taken crafty counsel against Your people, And consulted together against Your sheltered ones.They have said, "Come, and let us cut them off from [being] a nation, That the name of Israel may be remembered no more."For they have consulted together with one consent; They form a confederacy against You:The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites; Moab and the Hagrites;Gebal, Ammon, and Amalek; Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre;Assyria also has joined with them; They have helped the children of Lot. SelahDeal with them as [with] Midian, As [with] Sisera, As [with] Jabin at the Brook Kishon,Who perished at En Dor, [Who] became [as] refuse on the earth.Make their nobles like Oreb and like Zeeb, Yes, all their princes like Zebah and Zalmunna,Who said, "Let us take for ourselves The pastures of God for a possession."O my God, make them like the whirling dust, Like the chaff before the wind!As the fire burns the woods, And as the flame sets the mountains on fire,So pursue them with Your tempest, And frighten them with Your storm.Fill their faces with shame, That they may seek Your name, O LORD.Let them be confounded and dismayed forever; Yes, let them be put to shame and perish,That they may know that You, whose name alone [is] the LORD, [Are] the Most High over all the earth.
Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; Preserve me from violent men, Who have purposed to make my steps stumble.
Do not grant, O LORD, the desires of the wicked; Do not further his [wicked] scheme, [Lest] they be exalted. Selah
1. Matthew 6:10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as [it is] in heaven.
2. Eph. 2:2-3 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
3. Psalms 67:1 <<To the Chief Musician. On stringed instruments. A Psalm. A Song.>> God be merciful to us and bless us, [And] cause His face to shine upon us. Selah
Rev. 12:10-11 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, "Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down."And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.
4. 2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run [swiftly] and be glorified, just as [it is] with you,
5. Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved.
6. John 17:9, 20 "I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours.
"I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;
Rom. 11:25-26 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
Psa. ch. 67 <<To the Chief Musician. On stringed instruments. A Psalm. A Song.>> God be merciful to us and bless us, [And] cause His face to shine upon us. SelahThat Your way may be known on earth, Your salvation among all nations.Let the peoples praise You, O God; Let all the peoples praise You.Oh, let the nations be glad and sing for joy! For You shall judge the people righteously, And govern the nations on earth. SelahLet the peoples praise You, O God; Let all the peoples praise You.[Then] the earth shall yield her increase; God, our own God, shall bless us.God shall bless us, And all the ends of the earth shall fear Him.
7. Matthew 9:38 "Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest."
2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run [swiftly] and be glorified, just as [it is] with you,
8. Malachi 1:11 For from the rising of the sun, even to its going down, My name [shall be] great among the Gentiles; In every place incense [shall be] offered to My name, And a pure offering; For My name shall be great among the nations," Says the LORD of hosts.
Zephaniah 3:9 "For then I will restore to the peoples a pure language, That they all may call on the name of the LORD, To serve Him with one accord.
9. I Tim. 2:1-2 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, [and] giving of thanks be made for all men,for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.
10. Acts 4:29-30 "Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word,"by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus."
Eph. 6:18-20 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel,for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
Rom. 15:29-30, 32 But I know that when I come to you, I shall come in the fullness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.Now I beg you, brethren, through the Lord Jesus Christ, and through the love of the Spirit, that you strive together with me in prayers to God for me, that I may come to you with joy by the will of God, and may be refreshed together with you.
II Thess. 1:11; 2:16-17 Therefore we also pray always for you that our God would count you worthy of [this] calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of [His] goodness and the work of faith with power,
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given [us] everlasting consolation and good hope by grace,comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work.
11. Eph. 3:14-20 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,may be able to comprehend with all the saints what [is] the width and length and depth and height to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
12. Revelation 22:20 He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming quickly." Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!
13. Isa. 64:1-2 Oh, that You would rend the heavens! That You would come down! That the mountains might shake at Your presence As fire burns brushwood, As fire causes water to boil To make Your name known to Your adversaries, [That] the nations may tremble at Your presence!
Rev. 4:8-11 [The] four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!"Whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever,the twenty-four elders fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying:"You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created."
1. Matthew 6:10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as [it is] in heaven.
2. Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but [how] to perform what is good I do not find.
Job 21:14 Yet they say to God, ‘Depart from us, For we do not desire the knowledge of Your ways.
1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
3. Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
4. Exodus 17:7 So he called the name of the place Massah and Meribah, because of the contention of the children of Israel, and because they tempted the LORD, saying, "Is the LORD among us or not?"
Numbers 14:2 And all the children of Israel complained against Moses and Aaron, and the whole congregation said to them, "If only we had died in the land of Egypt! Or if only we had died in this wilderness!
5. Ephesians 2:2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,
6. Eph. 1:17-18 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him,the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
7. Ephesians 3:16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
8. Matt. 26:40-41 Then He came to the disciples and found them asleep, and said to Peter, "What? Could you not watch with Me one hour?"Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed [is] willing, but the flesh [is] weak."
9. Jer. 31:18-19 "I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself: ‘You have chastised me, and I was chastised, Like an untrained bull; Restore me, and I will return, For You [are] the LORD my God.Surely, after my turning, I repented; And after I was instructed, I struck myself on the thigh; I was ashamed, yes, even humiliated, Because I bore the reproach of my youth.’
10. Psa. 119:1, 8, 35-36 ALEPH. Blessed [are] the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the LORD! I will keep Your statutes; Oh, do not forsake me utterly! Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, For I delight in it.Incline my heart to Your testimonies, And not to covetousness.
Acts 21:14 So when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, "The will of the Lord be done."
11. Micah 6:8 He has shown you, O man, what [is] good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?
12. Psalms 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness; Come before His presence with singing.
Job 1:21 And he said: "Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD."
II Sam. 15:25-26 Then the king said to Zadok, "Carry the ark of God back into the city. If I find favor in the eyes of the LORD, He will bring me back and show me [both] it and His dwelling place."But if He says thus: ‘I have no delight in you,’ here I am, let Him do to me as seems good to Him."
13. Isaiah 38:3 and said, "Remember now, O LORD, I pray, how I have walked before You in truth and with a loyal heart, and have done [what is] good in Your sight." And Hezekiah wept bitterly.
14. Psa. 119:4-5 You have commanded [us] To keep Your precepts diligently.Oh, that my ways were directed To keep Your statutes!
15. Romans 12:11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
16. Psalms 119:80 Let my heart be blameless regarding Your statutes, That I may not be ashamed.
17. Psalms 119:112 I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes Forever, to the very end.
18. Isa. 6:2-3 Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.And one cried to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy [is] the LORD of hosts; The whole earth [is] full of His glory!"
Psa. 103:20-21 Bless the LORD, you His angels, Who excel in strength, who do His word, Heeding the voice of His word.Bless the LORD, all [you] His hosts, [You] ministers of His, who do His pleasure.
Matthew 18:10 "Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.
1. Matthew 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
2. Gen. 2:17, 3:17 "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
Then to Adam He said, "Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’: "Cursed [is] the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat [of] it All the days of your life.
Rom. 8:20-22 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected [it] in hope;because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now.
Jeremiah 5:25 Your iniquities have turned these [things] away, And your sins have withheld good from you.
Deut. 28:15-68 "But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the LORD your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you: "Cursed [shall] you [be] in the city, and cursed [shall] you [be] in the country. "Cursed [shall be] your basket and your kneading bowl. "Cursed [shall be] the fruit of your body and the produce of your land, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks. "Cursed [shall] you [be] when you come in, and cursed [shall] you [be] when you go out.
"The LORD will send on you cursing, confusion, and rebuke in all that you set your hand to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly, because of the wickedness of your doings in which you have forsaken Me. "The LORD will make the plague cling to you until He has consumed you from the land which you are going to possess. "The LORD will strike you with consumption, with fever, with inflammation, with severe burning fever, with the sword, with scorching, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until you perish. "And your heavens which [are] over your head shall be bronze, and the earth which is under you [shall be] iron. "The LORD will change the rain of your land to powder and dust; from the heaven it shall come down on you until you are destroyed. "The LORD will cause you to be defeated before your enemies; you shall go out one way against them and flee seven ways before them; and you shall become troublesome to all the kingdoms of the earth. "Your carcasses shall be food for all the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and no one shall frighten [them] away. "The LORD will strike you with the boils of Egypt, with tumors, with the scab, and with the itch, from which you cannot be healed. "The LORD will strike you with madness and blindness and confusion of heart. "And you shall grope at noonday, as a blind man gropes in darkness; you shall not prosper in your ways; you shall be only oppressed and plundered continually, and no one shall save [you]. "You shall betroth a wife, but another man shall lie with her; you shall build a house, but you shall not dwell in it; you shall plant a vineyard, but shall not gather its grapes. "Your ox [shall be] slaughtered before your eyes, but you shall not eat of it; your donkey [shall be] violently taken away from before you, and shall not be restored to you; your sheep [shall be] given to your enemies, and you shall have no one to rescue [them]. "Your sons and your daughters [shall be] given to another people, and your eyes shall look and fail [with longing] for them all day long; and [there shall be] no strength in your hand. "A nation whom you have not known shall eat the fruit of your land and the produce of your labor, and you shall be only oppressed and crushed continually. "So you shall be driven mad because of the sight which your eyes see. "The LORD will strike you in the knees and on the legs with severe boils which cannot be healed, and from the sole of your foot to the top of your head. "The LORD will bring you and the king whom you set over you to a nation which neither you nor your fathers have known, and there you shall serve other gods wood and stone. "And you shall become an astonishment, a proverb, and a byword among all nations where the LORD will drive you. "You shall carry much seed out to the field but gather little in, for the locust shall consume it. "You shall plant vineyards and tend [them], but you shall neither drink [of] the wine nor gather the [grapes]; for the worms shall eat them. "You shall have olive trees throughout all your territory, but you shall not anoint [yourself] with the oil; for your olives shall drop off. "You shall beget sons and daughters, but they shall not be yours; for they shall go into captivity. "Locusts shall consume all your trees and the produce of your land. "The alien who [is] among you shall rise higher and higher above you, and you shall come down lower and lower. "He shall lend to you, but you shall not lend to him; he shall be the head, and you shall be the tail.
"Moreover all these curses shall come upon you and pursue and overtake you, until you are destroyed, because you did not obey the voice of the LORD your God, to keep His commandments and His statutes which He commanded you. "And they shall be upon you for a sign and a wonder, and on your descendants forever. "Because you did not serve the LORD your God with joy and gladness of heart, for the abundance of everything, "therefore you shall serve your enemies, whom the LORD will send against you, in hunger, in thirst, in nakedness, and in need of everything; and He will put a yoke of iron on your neck until He has destroyed you. "The LORD will bring a nation against you from afar, from the end of the earth, [as swift] as the eagle flies, a nation whose language you will not understand, "a nation of fierce countenance, which does not respect the elderly nor show favor to the young. "And they shall eat the increase of your livestock and the produce of your land, until you are destroyed; they shall not leave you grain or new wine or oil, [or] the increase of your cattle or the offspring of your flocks, until they have destroyed you. "They shall besiege you at all your gates until your high and fortified walls, in which you trust, come down throughout all your land; and they shall besiege you at all your gates throughout all your land which the LORD your God has given you. "You shall eat the fruit of your own body, the flesh of your sons and your daughters whom the LORD your God has given you, in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you. "The sensitive and very refined man among you will be hostile toward his brother, toward the wife of his bosom, and toward the rest of his children whom he leaves behind, "so that he will not give any of them the flesh of his children whom he will eat, because he has nothing left in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you at all your gates. "The tender and delicate woman among you, who would not venture to set the sole of her foot on the ground because of her delicateness and sensitivity, will refuse to the husband of her bosom, and to her son and her daughter, "her placenta which comes out from between her feet and her children whom she bears; for she will eat them secretly for lack of everything in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you at all your gates.
"If you do not carefully observe all the words of this law that are written in this book, that you may fear this glorious and awesome name, THE LORD YOUR GOD, "then the LORD will bring upon you and your descendants extraordinary plagues great and prolonged plagues and serious and prolonged sicknesses. "Moreover He will bring back on you all the diseases of Egypt, of which you were afraid, and they shall cling to you. "Also every sickness and every plague, which [is] not written in this Book of the Law, will the LORD bring upon you until you are destroyed. "You shall be left few in number, whereas you were as the stars of heaven in multitude, because you would not obey the voice of the LORD your God. "And it shall be, [that] just as the LORD rejoiced over you to do you good and multiply you, so the LORD will rejoice over you to destroy you and bring you to nothing; and you shall be plucked from off the land which you go to possess.
"Then the LORD will scatter you among all peoples, from one end of the earth to the other, and there you shall serve other gods, which neither you nor your fathers have known wood and stone. "And among those nations you shall find no rest, nor shall the sole of your foot have a resting place; but there the LORD will give you a trembling heart, failing eyes, and anguish of soul. "Your life shall hang in doubt before you; you shall fear day and night, and have no assurance of life. "In the morning you shall say, ‘Oh, that it were evening!’ And at evening you shall say, ‘Oh, that it were morning!’ because of the fear which terrifies your heart, and because of the sight which your eyes see."And the LORD will take you back to Egypt in ships, by the way of which I said to you, ‘You shall never see it again.’ And there you shall be offered for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but no one will buy [you]."
3. Deuteronomy 8:3 "So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every [word] that proceeds from the mouth of the LORD.
4. Genesis 32:10 "I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant; for I crossed over this Jordan with my staff, and now I have become two companies.
5. Deut. 8:17-18 "then you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gained me this wealth.’"And you shall remember the LORD your God, for [it is] He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as [it is] this day.
6. Jeremiah 6:13 "Because from the least of them even to the greatest of them, Everyone [is] given to covetousness; And from the prophet even to the priest, Everyone deals falsely.
Mark 7:21-22 "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,"thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness.
7. Hosea 12:7 "A cunning Canaanite! Deceitful scales [are] in his hand; He loves to oppress.
8. James 4:3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend [it] on your pleasures.
9. Gen. 28:20; 43:12-14 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on,
"Take double money in your hand, and take back in your hand the money that was returned in the mouth of your sacks; perhaps it was an oversight."Take your brother also, and arise, go back to the man."And may God Almighty give you mercy before the man, that he may release your other brother and Benjamin. If I am bereaved, I am bereaved!"
Ephesians 4:28 Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with [his] hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need.
II Thess. 3:11-12 For we hear that there are some who walk among you in a disorderly manner, not working at all, but are busybodies.Now those who are such we command and exhort through our Lord Jesus Christ that they work in quietness and eat their own bread.
Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
10. I Tim. 4:3-5 forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.For every creature of God [is] good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving;for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
11. I Tim. 6:6-8 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.For we brought nothing into [this] world, [and it is] certain we can carry nothing out.And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
12. Prov. 30:8-9 Remove falsehood and lies far from me; Give me neither poverty nor riches Feed me with the food allotted to me;Lest I be full and deny [You], And say, "Who [is] the LORD?" Or lest I be poor and steal, And profane the name of my God.
1. Matthew 6:12 And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.
2. Rom. 3:9-22 What then? Are we better [than they]? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin. As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one; There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God. They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one." "Their throat [is] an open tomb; With their tongues they have practiced deceit"; "The poison of asps [is] under their lips"; "Whose mouth [is] full of cursing and bitterness." "Their feet [are] swift to shed blood; Destruction and misery [are] in their ways; And the way of peace they have not known." "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
Matt. 18:24-25 "And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents."But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made.
Psa. 130:3-4 If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?But [there is] forgiveness with You, That You may be feared.
3. Rom. 3:24-26 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,whom God set forth [as] a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
Hebrews 9:22 And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
4. Eph. 1:6-7 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved.In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
5. 2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord,
6. Hosea 14:2 Take words with you, And return to the LORD. Say to Him, "Take away all iniquity; Receive [us] graciously, For we will offer the sacrifices of our lips.
Jeremiah 14:7 O LORD, though our iniquities testify against us, Do it for Your name’s sake; For our backslidings are many, We have sinned against You.
7. Romans 15:13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Psa. 51:7-10, 12 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.Make me hear joy and gladness, [That] the bones You have broken may rejoice.Hide Your face from my sins, And blot out all my iniquities.Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me [by Your] generous Spirit.
8. Luke 11:4 And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one."
Matt. 6:14-15; 18:35 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
"So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.""
1. Matthew 6:13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
2 Chronicles 32:31 However, [regarding] the ambassadors of the princes of Babylon, whom they sent to him to inquire about the wonder that was [done] in the land, God withdrew from him, in order to test him, that He might know all [that was] in his heart.
2. 2 Chronicles 32:31 However, [regarding] the ambassadors of the princes of Babylon, whom they sent to him to inquire about the wonder that was [done] in the land, God withdrew from him, in order to test him, that He might know all [that was] in his heart.
3. 1 Chronicles 21:1 Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel.
4. Luke 21:34 "But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly.
Mark 4:19 "and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.
5. James 1:14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
6. Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
7. Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed [is] willing, but the flesh [is] weak."
8. Matt. 26:69-72 Now Peter sat outside in the courtyard. And a servant girl came to him, saying, "You also were with Jesus of Galilee."But he denied it before [them] all, saying, "I do not know what you are saying."And when he had gone out to the gateway, another [girl] saw him and said to those [who were] there, "This [fellow] also was with Jesus of Nazareth."But again he denied with an oath, "I do not know the Man!"
Gal. 2:11-14 Now when Peter had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed;for before certain men came from James, he would eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision.And the rest of the Jews also played the hypocrite with him, so that even Barnabas was carried away with their hypocrisy.But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before [them] all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews?
II Chr. 18:3; 19:2 So Ahab king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat king of Judah, "Will you go with me [against] Ramoth Gilead?" And he answered him, "I [am] as you [are], and my people as your people; [we will be] with you in the war."
And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to King Jehoshaphat, "Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the LORD? Therefore the wrath of the LORD [is] upon you.
9. Rom. 7:23-24 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
I Chr. 21:1-4 Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel.So David said to Joab and to the leaders of the people, "Go, number Israel from Beersheba to Dan, and bring the number of them to me that I may know [it]."And Joab answered, "May the LORD make His people a hundred times more than they are. But, my lord the king, [are] they not all my lord’s servants? Why then does my lord require this thing? Why should he be a cause of guilt in Israel?"Nevertheless the king’s word prevailed against Joab. Therefore Joab departed and went throughout all Israel and came to Jerusalem.
II Chr. 16:7-10 And at that time Hanani the seer came to Asa king of Judah, and said to him: "Because you have relied on the king of Syria, and have not relied on the LORD your God, therefore the army of the king of Syria has escaped from your hand."Were the Ethiopians and the Lubim not a huge army with very many chariots and horsemen? Yet, because you relied on the LORD, He delivered them into your hand."For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of [those] whose heart [is] loyal to Him. In this you have done foolishly; therefore from now on you shall have wars."Then Asa was angry with the seer, and put him in prison, for [he was] enraged at him because of this. And Asa oppressed [some] of the people at that time.
10. Psa. 81:11-12 "But My people would not heed My voice, And Israel would [have] none of Me.So I gave them over to their own stubborn heart, To walk in their own counsels.
11. John 17:15 "I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.
12. Psa. 51:10; 119:133 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Direct my steps by Your word, And let no iniquity have dominion over me.
13. II Cor. 12:7-8 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.
14. I Cor. 10:12-13 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God [is] faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear [it].
15. Heb. 13:20-21 Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom [be] glory forever and ever. Amen.
16. Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed [is] willing, but the flesh [is] weak."
Psalms 19:13 Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous [sins]; Let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, And I shall be innocent of great transgression.
17. Eph. 3:14-17 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
1 Thessalonians 3:13 so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints.
Jude 1:24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present [you] faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
18. Psalms 51:12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me [by Your] generous Spirit.
19. I Peter 5:8-10 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle [you].
20. II Cor. 13:7, 9 Now I pray to God that you do no evil, not that we should appear approved, but that you should do what is honorable, though we may seem disqualified.
For we are glad when we are weak and you are strong. And this also we pray, that you may be made complete.
21. Romans 16:20 And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you. Amen.
Zechariah 3:2 And the LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! [Is] this not a brand plucked from the fire?"
Luke 22:31-32 And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift [you] as wheat."But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to [Me], strengthen your brethren."
22. John 17:15 "I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.
1 Thessalonians 5:23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1. Matthew 6:13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
2. Romans 15:30 Now I beg you, brethren, through the Lord Jesus Christ, and through the love of the Spirit, that you strive together with me in prayers to God for me,
3. Dan. 9:4, 7-9, 16-19 And I prayed to the LORD my God, and made confession, and said, "O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him, and with those who keep His commandments,
"O Lord, righteousness [belongs] to You, but to us shame of face, as [it is] this day to the men of Judah, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel, those near and those far off in all the countries to which You have driven them, because of the unfaithfulness which they have committed against You."O Lord, to us [belongs] shame of face, to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, because we have sinned against You."To the Lord our God [belong] mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him.
"O Lord, according to all Your righteousness, I pray, let Your anger and Your fury be turned away from Your city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people [are] a reproach to all [those] around us."Now therefore, our God, hear the prayer of Your servant, and his supplications, and for the Lord’s sake cause Your face to shine on Your sanctuary, which is desolate."O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and see our desolations, and the city which is called by Your name; for we do not present our supplications before You because of our righteous deeds, but because of Your great mercies."O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your name."
4. Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
5. I Chr. 29:10-13 Therefore David blessed the LORD before all the assembly; and David said: "Blessed are You, LORD God of Israel, our Father, forever and ever.Yours, O LORD, [is] the greatness, The power and the glory, The victory and the majesty; For all [that is] in heaven and in earth [is Yours]; Yours [is] the kingdom, O LORD, And You are exalted as head over all.Both riches and honor [come] from You, And You reign over all. In Your hand [is] power and might; In Your hand [it is] to make great And to give strength to all."Now therefore, our God, We thank You And praise Your glorious name.
6. Eph. 3:20-21 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,to Him [be] glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
Luke 11:13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"
7. II Chr. 20:6, 11 and said: "O LORD God of our fathers, [are] You not God in heaven, and do You [not] rule over all the kingdoms of the nations, and in Your hand [is there not] power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You?
"here they are, rewarding us by coming to throw us out of Your possession which You have given us to inherit.
8. II Chr. 14:11 And Asa cried out to the LORD his God, and said, "LORD, [it is] nothing for You to help, whether with many or with those who have no power; help us, O LORD our God, for we rest on You, and in Your name we go against this multitude. O LORD, You [are] our God; do not let man prevail against You!"
9. 1 Corinthians 14:16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say?
Rev. 22:20-21 He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming quickly." Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you all. Amen.